Staff Spotlight: Phil Reid
Phillip Reid, or Chef Phil, is our Chef de Cuisine at the Clubhouse here at River Landing and has been with us for 2.5 years now. Speaking on his job Phil explains that he loves "getting the chance to be creative with food, and I really love the people I work with and for."
"I've been in the kitchen since the age of 14," recalls Phil. Growing up in Kennebunkport, Maine, a resort town, Phil found ample opportunities to work in the hospitality industry, especially the restaurants in the area who were always looking for help. Starting as a dishwasher, Phil quickly worked his way up, earned a degree in Culinary Arts from a local community college in his home state, and earned his first Executive Chef position by the age of 28.
While sharpening his skills in Maine, Phil grew to love preparing fresh fish...a great thing since we will start featuring locally caught fresh fish on our new Lakeview Menu which debuts next week. "Growing up on the coast of Maine allowed me the opportunity to work with fresh fish often and, over the years, I have become quite good at creating fish specials."
Though Phil now lives in Wilmington, NC, he credits his family back home as being his biggest supporters. He tells us, "I wouldn't be who I am today, as a person or as a professional, if it wasn't for their constant love and support. I consider myself lucky in that respect"
Fun Facts About Phil
1. Phil's favorite quote: "Life is what you make it." ~Dan Millman, The Peaceful Warrior
2. Phil has been playing guitar for over 20 years and still plays almost every day.
3. Best Piece of Advice Phil's ever received: "Fail until you don't."
4. Phil loves the game of golf (even though he doesn't get the opportunity to play it often)
5. Phil was a Varsity gymnast and soccer player.